Thursday, May 3, 2012

I'm back Diary!!


Deary Diary,

It’s been awhile my friend, and I have no excuse other than life’s just whizzing by!  Since our hockey trip to Montreal we have also had a family hockey trip to Gander  and most recently Prince Edward Island for myself and Drew.  PEI was a great little adventure as it was just me and the little man; I have to say that I really enjoyed having some one-on-one time with the little guy. It was long overdue.  

Most trips to the rink involve me lugging along a convoy of kids, but this trip, I was able to sit back and watch him play the game.   None of the, “Mom, can I get a slushy”, “Have you got a toonie”, “Is this over yet?”; just me and the bench cheering on my little man.  We had a great time together…we survived the driving, got water-logged in the pools, did some shopping and even survived our flight being cancelled on the way home.  Travelling is always an adventure.

 Now home, it’s not hard to want to leave again.  Snow, followed by wet flurries, high winds and freezing temperatures continue to make me question the sanity that is required to live here.  It’s said “Newfoundlanders are a tough bunch”, while this is true, even we have our breaking point. 

 As per every Spring, we have the moose yearlings toddling through the city, massive pot-holes that swallow your car, and now, the extra icing on the chilly cake, coyotes!  These little darlings have been making their way into the city, perusing the downtown shopping and scouting out the local schools.  I have yet to come across one myself and quite frankly hope I don’t.  As the children play street hockey and ride their bikes, the parental conversation of “don’t talk to strangers”, “stay away from the wandering moose”, has now the added perk of, “if you see a Coyote, get home!”



 It’s great to see them outside again; their faces smiling with sun-kissed cheeks (as opposed to wind burn)  Their sweaty little heads from bike helmets, scraped knees, polysporin and bandaids like tattoos on their legs and elbows. Indeed Spring is in the air.  I’ve even seen the start of my hostas making their way through the soil and little buds on the tree branches.  Guess Mother Nature forgot to tell them she made a wrong turn off the coast and it’s still winter here!  Tank tops, shorts and flip-flops one day, winter coats and hats the next….awesome.

 We’re not asking for much, just something other than this.  Plus ten or twelve? Come on old girl, toss us a bone! We may be a tough bunch, but, even we need to feel the warmth of the sun on our skin!




No comments:

Post a Comment