Sunday, October 3, 2010

The best part of back to school.

Oh my,  where to begin.  One minute it’s the first day back to school and the next October 1st! How did that happen!  Well, I’ll tell you how.
First full week back to school our house became a safe haven for all and any flu/cold bug that came along.  I was the first to get sick and it was terrible!  I do not remember the last time I felt so awful and it only got worse.  Like flicking on a light-switch I went from feeling great to miserable in a snap.  Though I do have vague memories of a similar feeling,  I believe said feeling was the result of vodka cranberries during an afternoon at the campus bar.   I was in my kitchen talking to my mother, looking at her thinking, I don’t know if I’m just uninterested or truly unable to focus on a word she’s saying.  My head was getting heavier by the second.  I just wanted to go to bed and stay there...forever.

The next morning my husband had left for work at 5:30am.  I was semi-conscious and unimpressed.  Did he not believe me when I said I was sick?  Honestly, I can’t get up!  How was I going to take care of three kiddies, let alone get them out the door for school.  How could he leave me in this state? A sluggish glance by the mirror truly brought to life the severity of my demise.  My hair, matted and dishevelled,   mascara cascading down my flushed and blotchy cheeks. I shuffled down the hall like a decrepit creature.  My clammy hands bracing my way as I fight the spinning hallway finally making it to the kitchen.

My first born would come to my rescue.  Like a preview of my days to come in an Old Age Home he sat me in a chair,  got breakfast, helped get lunches together and even called my  neighbour to arrange getting to school;  all this while his mother now clenched the countertop, clinging on for dear life.  My body was shaking, my head was spinning.  Any efforts to stand up were futile. 
In the end, my friend took my brood and hers aboard our mini-van and deposited each at the appropriate drop-off.  Last stop, this mama was back home and going back to bed.

From there I got sicker and like clock-work the children followed soon after.  Our house was a sniffling, booger–filled disaster!  I had come down with pneumonia and the kids had varying symptoms of god only knows what.  “Mom, my cheek hurts!”, “Mom my feet hurt”, “Mom I can’t eat because my tongue hurts”, “Mom, I can’t stop coughing”, "Mom, there's a rash on my feet".....SWEET MOTHER OF JINGLES!  ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!

I was finally starting to feel human again. Yet, my kids, like all others at school  were riddled with ailment after ailment.  "Back to School" was also known as back to the festering cesspool of boogers, uncovered coughs, soppy tissues, grubby hands ...you get the idea.  Missed swimming, taekwon-do, and I think a math test, all part our accomplishments in the first three weeks of school.  Did I mention that in the middle of all this, Igor, the Category 1 Hurricane paid us a visit.  Massive flooding, and torrential winds cause great devestation and chaos.  For us personally, no damage and no flooding. Our only inconvience was no power for three days.  Three generators later (I love Honda), lots of Monopoly and some Advil Cold & Sinus...power was restored and I had the second best shower of my life!

So once again, my plans of regularly visiting the gym , timely laundry, clean bathrooms and cooked family dinners are foiled by a microscopic evil little virus. In the blink of an eye three weeks have glazed by and I’ve nothing to show for it.  Then again, there is the lingering smell of vomit and these black circles under my eyes are going to require a bit of effort.  Still, this mama is smiling and getting back in the saddle!  Next subject? I’m thinking flannel pyjamas and why people wear them out in public. You managed to do your hair and put on a coat, yet left on the flannel pyjama pants?

No comments:

Post a Comment