Thursday, January 6, 2011

A New Year's Poem


 “A New Year at Home”
 (To the rhythm of “T’was the Night Before Christmas”)

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow, gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below..
  – then dad threw his back out re-brimming the trees, while mommy tackled the walkway snow- filled to her knees.

Then mom found my dinkie, as is shot through the blower, it might have been better had Dad ducked a little lower. And then, in a twinkling he got it first -rate, smack dab in the noggin, Dad’s wipe-out was great!

Our tree is still standing, a little haggard and bare, Dad says after New Year’s most people don’t care.  “It’s wind storms and blizzards from here in little man, Santa’s down south now, getting a tan”.

Mom in her gym pants, and Dad in his scrubs, Mom says “8 more pounds” til I’m in that hot tub.  Too much eating! Too much wine! Oh my! It’s not good!  When your fat pants don’t fit you quite like they should.

It’s back to the school books for me and my brother; and something about weight watchers for my guilt ridden mother.  She shouted something colourful not fitting of an Elf; most times we ignore her when she rants to herself!

Dad beams at the snowflakes as they fall from the sky.  He’s known as the friendly neighbourhood  plow-guy!  Through his frosted white windows he gives me a nod...I’ll tell mom much later what’s he’s done to the sod.

Then I heard him exclaim, as he drove out of sight, “Have fun with your Mother, I’ll see you tonight!”
                                                                                                         

                                                                                                                     The mommy Jingles

No comments:

Post a Comment